Lake County Probate Lawyer
Rights of a Surviving Spouse
In Ohio, you cannot disinherit a surviving spouse. Regardless of what the Will says, a surviving spouse has rights under Ohio law.
The basic rights available to a surviving spouse are summarized as follows:
- Right to two automobiles not specifically bequeathed. (R.C. 2106.18)
- Allowance for support. (R.C. 2106.13)
- Right to occupy the mansion house for one year. (R.C. 2106.15)
- Right to elect to take under deceased spouse's Will or under R.C. 2105.06. (R.C. 2106.01 through R.C. 2106.11)
- Right to receive the mansion house as a part of intestate share and family allowance. (R.C. 2106.10)
- Right to purchase property from deceased spouse's estate. (R.C. 2106.05)
- Miscellaneous rights.
Contact Our Lake County Ohio Probate Administration Attorneys
For advice on any probate-related legal matter, we welcome you to contact our office for an appointment. We can be reached by e-mail or by telephone at 800-610-9556.
Free initial consultations in person or over the phone.